· Improve the operational systems, processes and policies in support of society’s vision, specifically, improve management reporting, information flow and financial management business processes.
· Coordinate and record cash receipts of dues, contributions, investments and miscellaneous income.
· Prepare, record, and process accounts payable and cash disbursements.
· Prepare, record, and process accounts receivable and cash receipts.
· Prepare and process payroll and deductions schedules. Import time and effort report and reconcile to payroll.
· Perform monthly bank reconciliations.
· Prepare and enter journal entries as required.
· Ensure timely closing of the payment processing systems including the evaluation and resolution of any exception payments; timely reconciliation and resolution of all payment discrepancies and/or problems within the banking applications.
· Work closely with the Finance Manager to monitor the cash flow.
· Reconcile inventory transactions and coordinate with Publications department to ensure monthly transactions are properly recorded.
· Analyze transactions and develop responses to questions received related to financial transactions.
· Provide clear oral and written communication to support financial and non-financial staff on various accounting issues.
· Proactively seek out resolutions to potential audit findings.
· Prepare reconciliations of balance sheet accounts.
· Develop procedures and updates to support activity related to job functions.
· Maintain filing system and job related schedules.
· Prepare schedules and analysis for the annual audit.
· Working with appropriate staff, propose internal controls and quality checks; ensure controls are in compliance with the society’s policies and procedures.
· Manage the automated batch processing required between the financial system and our Memberships system.
· Contribute to the preparation, maintenance and revision of the accounting manual includes assistance with drafting policies and procedures, and providing training and education to staff on various accounting related issues.
Experience with Non-Profit, 501-C3
Accounts Payable experience
Payroll management experience
Accounts Receivable experience
Net forum experience preferred
About Society of Navel Architects and Marine Engineers
We are a professional technical Society that supports naval architecture and marine engineering with main offices in Alexandria, VA. We are international with more than 6,500 members in active local sections that host events designed to stimulate professional development, create and distribute technical content, educate and lead our profession. We publish academic as well as contemporary business works, hosting a modern web and media presence. We are expanding our educational, professional development, outreach, and scholarship portfolio. Our members can be found working in all lifecycle phases of all vessel types and other waterborne assets.