National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)
Location: Washington, D.C.
Type: Full Time
The Associate Membership Specialist contributes to the advancement of local public health practice by performing a range of responsibilities related to NACCHO’s membership services. The Associate Membership Specialist is NACCHO’s primary contact for member relations and customer service and is responsible for providing professional support of all membership operations, including ensuring efficient, responsive and cost- effective processes and procedures. More specifically, the Associate Membership Specialist is responsible for helping to promote a “member-centric” culture among NACCHO staff; assisting the Membership Manager with all recruitment, retention, and marketing campaigns; overseeing the dues invoicing and data entry process helping to ensure the integrity and upkeep of the membership and customer database files and the membership area of the website; supporting the work and activities of the Membership Committee, Past Presidents Council, Council of SACCHO, Model Practices, Workgroups, Career Center, Student Chapters, Affiliate Business Partners, and Awards programs as directed by the Membership Manager; coordinating external exhibit/promotional activities and other duties as needed.
The Associate Membership Specialist understands implications of internal and external policies that impact their position. The work involves partnerships with co-workers, members, vendors, and other external groups, and requires the exercise of discretion and independent judgment. The Associate Membership Specialist will collaborate closely with the Membership Manager, fellow staff and NACCHO members to centralize, streamline, and improve NACCHO’s membership services activities, membership database integrity, and ensure superior service to local health departments.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
• Manages general inquiries and provides customer service to members and staff including email, mail, and phone communications; provides initial and follow up customer service to member/staff inquiries
• Updates and maintains membership database to ensure accurate data and to extract management data from systems; processes renewal invoices, dues payments, changes to member information, addresses, and demographics within the database; maintain database integrity by updating records with information obtained from member calls, update forms or other sources
• Supports member recruitment and retention efforts; contacts members and non-members via telephone, electronic and written communications to solicit new/renewal membership; generate invoices for annual renewal cycles and outcomes to retention calls
• Coordinates and executes membership communication deliverables, including but not limited to the weekly membership newsletter, monthly membership magazine, other NACCHO weekly and monthly publications, weekly and ad-hoc social media posts, and virtual communities’ posts
• Assists with the administration of the student chapter and affiliate business partner programs, including but not limited to new member onboarding, annual renewal and retention campaigns, coordinating webinars, and the delivery of member benefits
• Provides systems assistance including but not limited to: netForum AMS, Higher Logic platform, and membership department's website presence.
• Supports members’ ability to access and use myNACCHO, NACCHO Awards platform, and Virtual Communities; works with IT staff to resolve problems as needed
• Participates in the monthly fulfillment of new-member program for new and renewed members
• Provide onsite customer service at NACCHO events as needed; ensures membership information is available at all NACCHO events.
• First line of communication with all members, handles inquiries and comments via phone, email, postal mail, and other methods of communication;
• Responds to member inquiries;
• Enters new member information and member updates into the database; • Handles all renewal transactions and questions;
• Processes payments as received via online, phone, and mail;
• Implements and executes new member welcome and renewal recognition program;
• Provides administrative support for the Membership Committee, Past Presidents Council, Council of SACCHO, Workgroups, Model Practices, Career Center, NACCHO Awards;
• Prepares certificates and letters as required for membership and events;
• Serves as primary support agent for data entry, including batches for dues payment, online, mail, and telephone renewals, correction batches, and refunds;
• Send receipts and renewal invoices to members/customers as directed;
• Provide follow-up for credit card declines and inactive credit cards;
• Provide timely and accurate processing of membership batches;
• Processes returned mail and all list opt-out requests;
• Develops and maintain a Membership procedure manual for the department;
• Audit member records, as needed, to ensure accuracy and relevancy.
• Skilled in providing an exceptional membership experience through written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Proven ability to maintain positive communication and relationships with members, staff, and all levels of management.
• Excellent ability to balance multiple priorities, and to effectively communicate the status of projects.
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written & verbal form.
• Strong organization and self-management skills; highly self-motivated.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects effectively in a fast-paced setting.
• Ability to work in teams and independently.
• Ability to consistently meet project deliverables and deadlines.
• Ability to keep calm under pressure.
• Ability to handle a variety of projects and multiple tasks while working with minimum supervision; excellent attention to detail, particularly with database entry and spreadsheets; and excellent proofreading and organizational skills
• Must be detail-oriented and able to work both independently and in a collaborative environment
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in relevant professional field with a minimum of three years office experience or equivalent combination of education and experience, including a relevant certification. On occasion, extensive practical experience may be substituted for formal education, particularly if the technical specialty is unusually complex or when long experience has greater value to the organization than conceptual understanding.
At least two years’ experience working in an association environment with member or customer relations and database management. At least two years’ experience with netForum or equivalent Association Management Software (AMS), Higher Logic, Craft (webpage development), and Microsoft Office. Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint experience preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of their job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally required to sit.
Occasionally required to walk.
Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
Occasionally required to talk or hear.
Occasionally required to bend, lift or climb
Occasionally required to lift light weights (less than 25 pounds)
The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate
SELECTION PROCESS: We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, with salary requirements to: Associate Membership Specialist
NACCHO offers generous benefits plan including but not limited to 13 days of sick leave annual leave allowable accumulation up to 225 hours, and paid vacation leave, as well as other types of leave. NACCHO benefits include a generous health, dental, and vision plan, 5 percent of base salary contribution to 403(b) plan, (not a matching contribution); paid short and long term disability plan and paid term life insurance.
At NACCHO, our commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action seeks to ensure a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
About National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)
The National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), a national organization representing nearly 3,000 local health departments nationwide, has an immediate opening for an Associate Membership Specialist.