Reports To: Managing Director, Marketing, Communications, & Publications
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Alexandria, VA
The National School Boards Association (NSBA) is a federation of state associations and the U.S. territory of the Virgin Islands that represent locally elected school board officials serving approximately 51 million public school students regardless of their disability, ethnicity, socio- economic status or citizenship. Working with and through our state association members, NSBA advocates for equity and excellence in public education through school board leadership.
We believe that public education is a civil right necessary to the dignity and freedom of the American people and that each child deserves equitable access to an education that maximizes their individual potential.
NSBA, the leading advocate for public education seeks a collaborative and innovative Director, Creative Services, to provide creative team leadership, art direction, design expertise, and production for for a a fast-paced, creative team. This leader will oversee the development of creative assets including graphic design, digital, traditional, and video by developing the processes needed to coordinate in-house teams and freelancers. This professional will collaborate with colleagues daily to ensure that creative projects are on brand, impactful, and delivered on time.
The Director, Creative Services reports directly to the Managing Director, Marketing, Communications, & Publications and will lead NSBA in efforts to create an environment that values and demonstrates its commitment to creative collaboration. This position is also expected to interface with association leaders, and NSBA staff.
• Work with internal marketing and communications teams to drive effective creative strategies that meet business goals
• Lead the creative team - Senior Graphic Designer, Graphic Designer, Manager of Multimedia and freelance talent - to ensure copy and creatives reflect brand positioning, key messaging, and effective communication to target audiences
• Develop strategy/collect insights and research to apply them to creative concepts, paid campaigns and content development
• Project manage numerous campaign and creative requests working across internal departments
• Oversee design styles and guidelines of brands to ensure consistency; expert liaison for staff using design and internal brand standards.
• Contribute to our culture of creativity across the association, inspiring new ideas to drive engagement with external stakeholders across channels
• Understand creative insights and research and apply them to creative thinking, campaign and content development
• Work with the Marketing team to continually look for opportunities to optimize based on research, user feedback, and performance data
• Embody brand advocacy through collaboration, teamwork and inspiration
• Work externally to establish a network of marketing experts to stay abreast of best practices in the creative market and recruit talent for short and long-term projects.
In addition to the standard benefits NSBA offers (medical, dental, vision, matching retirement contributions), we also offer some perks that make working at NSBA even more enjoyable.
• Flexible Work Schedules: At NSBA, a 35-hour week constitutes fulltime employment. Core business hours are between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., but you may vary your work hours to start as early as 8 a.m. or as late as 10 a.m. with supervisor approval.
• Teleworking: Avoid D.C. area traffic and work in the comfort of your own home. Most employees are eligible for teleworking privileges after six months of continuous employment.
• Vacation Time Hard work earns well-deserved breaks. New employees receive 15 days of vacation and four paid personal days per year. NSBA also observes 11 paid holidays and gives employees generous paid sick leave.
• Location, Location, Location: Located in the historic Old Town neighborhood of Alexandria, the NSBA office enjoys close proximity to numerous dining, cultural and retail opportunities. Many employees use breaks to walk around the Alexandria African-American Heritage Park, relax on a park bench in Carlyle Square or grab lunch at a nearby restaurant.
• Subsidized Parking: Our office is near the King St-Old Town Metro Station and Alexandria Union Amtrak Station. We also subsidize public transportation and off-site parking costs. If you prefer to travel by two wheels instead of four, take advantage of the bike rack in our building's parking lot.
COVID-19 considerations: To safely and effectively meet the public health challenge presented by COVID-19, except for essential team members, the NSBA team is working remotely with plans to return to the office March 2022.
Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in related field. Master’s level degree in Marketing or Digital Marketing a plus
• At least five (5) years of relevant experience in a related leadership role in association marketing, design, or communications
• Extensive experience in developing and project managing processes around the creation of marketing assets including social, display, search, video, content marketing and email
• Strong track record of directing marketing copy and creatives for campaigns
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while continuing to hit deadlines
• Ability to think creatively and conceptually, from both visual and content standpoints, to identify the most compelling ways to achieve business objectives through outstanding creative output
• A strong people leader and project manager with ability to motivate and empower teams by setting clearly defined processes, targets, and goals
• A strong collaborator, partnering well internally and externally to contribute to realizing the overall vision for the association
NSBA is a federation of state associations and the U.S. territory of the Virgin Islands that represents locally elected school board officials serving approximately 50 million public school students regardless of their disability, ethnicity, socio-economic status or citizenship. Working with, through, and for our state association members, NSBA advocates for equity and excellence in public education through school board leadership.